Sunday, May 15, 2005

Catching up

Out of town for a week. It rained here the whole time, and by the time I got back, the weeds had gone crazy. Had to catch up on weeding and planting new stuff.

At Reed
Other than lots of weeding, I planted an organic tomato start I bought at Daily Grind (59 cents!). The variety is "Willamette", and it's a medium red slicing tomato. I put it in the spot where I'd previously put a roma tomato I started from seed. Slugs ate that one (though the other Roma was untouched).

In the same bed, I dug the rest of the soil in preparation for planting tomatillos. At the end of the bed, next to the isle, I put in a row of seed potatos (variety "Rose Finn Apple") that someone had left in the free area. Interested to grow some unusual plants, so why not Finn potatos?

The delicata squashes I planted were all eated by slugs; so I have to start over again there.

The turnips & arugula are going crazy and need to be thinned soon. Bok Choi & Tatsoi are not doing as well. The transplanted chards look like they may survive, plus I spotted three teeny tiny chard sprouts from the zillions of seeds I planted. The transplanted chickory also looks like it's making a recovery.

All of the beans I put in the large corner plot on a whim have sprouted and ate three inches tall.

The poptatos have gone crazy too, and I hilled them, that is, piled more dirt on top of them to encourage more setting of roots.

The snowpeas are getting large enough to start climbing.

No sprouts yet from the basil, collards, or carrots.

The volunteer daisies in the perenniels bed are three feet tall and full of blooms.

At Caruthers Street

My potted seedlings are all doing well. The hot thai peppers have sprouted in profusion. All of the tomato varieties are moving right along, and I have another zucchini sprout, though those are growing slow enough that I may just go buy a start.

No sunflower seeds have sprouted in the back yard, which may be due to the rainy weather. Looks like there may be some money plants growing though.

Planted another red slicing tomato at my house in the front harb/veggie garden. It's an "Early Girl" variety.

No coleus, basil, dill, oregano, or chive sprouts, dang it.

Some irises are blooming, as they are all over town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home