Friday, April 22, 2005

Triple Rainbow

At Reed
All the plots are dug, and I didn't really have much to do, but the weather was supposed to be amazing--in the 70s-- so I made a point of riding out to the garden. What actually happened was that there was a mini-thunderstorm while I was out there, which was actually cool. It barely rained, and tehre was actual thunder, which I havn't heard out in Portland in years. When it was over, there was a triple rainbow arching over the dorms of Reed College.


All I did out there really was weeded a lot, including the raspberry bed, which is almost all grass. I have everbearing raspberries, which means they send up canes all summer & fall and produce a new crop of fruit. There's not a lot, but it keeps on coming.

I also weeded the snow peas, and moved a couple of them around for better spacing. They're doing pretty well, and are about 2" high.

Carrots
Last year, my roommate planted a row of carrot seeds, then promptly ignored them for the rest of the year. Despite her neglect, the whole row came in all bushy and healthy, and I was picking carrots all the way through early fall. They gave & gave.

Well, a couple of days ago I found the other half of the same packet of seeds, and decided to put in a row of carrots. On the very corner of my garden plot, I made a little row on the edge of a bed and dropped in the seeds. Hopefully, I'll have carrots all year again, with practically no effort!

Squashes
In the same bed, I made hills for delicata squashes. The seedlings are almost ready to plant, and the plot is surrounded by metal trellises and string netting to support vines. Last year, I got loofa vines to climb up it. This year, I hope I'll be able to get squashes up there. Maybe I'll put in some acorn squash as well. Not sure if either of them climbs, but whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home