Saturday, April 02, 2005

Flowers at Caruthers

Surprisingly dry (if overcast) weather sent me outside to work in the yard today. Mowed the lawn (with an old-fashioned push mower), and planted some flower seeds.

Coleus
In the very corner of our front yard, which sits in deep shade all summer under a cherry tree, I decided to attempt some coleus (Coleus hybridus). It's colorful and loves shade. I spread seed, but it may still be too cool for germination. We'll see.

Rudbeckia
In the second median flower bed, under the birch tree, I put in some Rudbeckia seeds (Rudbeckia hirta), AKA Black-Eyed Susan. Should be a big bushy yellow flowering perennial. I also put in a few seeds in the main flowerbed.

Nasturtiums
Planted multi-colored Nasturtiums all over the place. First, I put seeds in the hanging flower pots on the back porch, which will be just darling if they actually come in, cascading down the railings and all.

Also, I put in seeds in three different areas of the main flower bed, in places where they'll roll down the hill or jump over a border.

Though they are not my favorite flower, Nasturtiums are edible, and I hear you can use the leaves as greens, as well as pickle the flower buds (maybe?) to use like capers. I always love a culinary experiment.

Dandelions
Some time in late February, I picked a handful of tiny baby dandelion leaves from our back yard and had a salad. It wasn't half bad, though hardly worth the effort unless you're literally starving. I also sampled the tiny flower buds, which have a nutty flavor and were actually pretty good, though once again hardly worth the effort.

However, I've read that you can make all sorts of things from dandelion flowers, such as wine and jelly. I think I'm going to give jelly a shot. You have to gather, like, pounds of the flowers, which is hundreds and hundreds of them, at least. Right now, there are little flowers everywhere around town, and in our back yard. So I'm thinking of at least trying. All this was to explain why I felt bad mowing our grass today. I wanted to gather the little dandelion flowers for jelly but didn't have the time.

Morning Glories
Tonight, I'm soaking morning glory seeds ("Heavenly Blue" Ipomoea tricolor)to plant tomorrow. I'm hoping to get them to climb the fence. Planted some seeds last year but didn't get a single plant. I assume it's because I ignored the directions and put them right in the ground without soaking first.

I also want to plant some Moonflowers (Ipomoea alba), which are a night blooming variety of morning glories. They are large & white, with a very sweet scent. Great plant, but it needs to climb something.

Poppies
The Oriental poppies that I scattered around in front of the main flower bed have not come in at all, not a single one. Not sure if it's how or when I planted them that's the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home