Sunday, August 07, 2005

End of beans

Not actually sure when I did this, but at Reed...

I pulled out all of the rangeybed of miscelaneous beans and cleared the plot. Someone had come along and taken all of my scarlet runner beans. The fuckers! Somebody also decided to dig up my *decorative* elephant garlics to get bulbs, I guess. Since I let them go to flower, there were none of any size and they just threw down to plants where they yanked them out. Fuckers fuckers fuckers! I mean really, digging something up is going way beyond sneaking off with a tomato or two.

In the place where I'd previously had the red potatos and right next to it the compost heap, I cleared away everything and made a large, well composted plot. The compost holder was moved to the rangey bean plot. It gets the least light and casts the least shade over there; so that's a better spot for it anyway.

All told, it was a lot of work, but with rewards. I found four more red potatos that I'd missed before, and I dug out a huge mound of beautiful compost for my new bed of greens.

Mystery squash
My delicata squashes are not what I expected. The plants have gone crazy and are taking over the world, but the fruits they are producing are clearly mixed with something else, maybe small pumpkins from the look of them, which might prove tasty. Nonetheless, it's going to be an interesting dining experiment whenever they're finally ready.

Raspberries
I have only a small, struggling row of everbearing raspberries, but they reliably produce a few berries every time I go to the garden. I've started collecting them in one container in the freezer, and I'm sure I'll end up with enough for a desert eventually.

Blackberries
It's full-on blackberry season. I've already picked about 3/4 of a gallon, and eaten plenty as well. So good! It's prickly, time consuming work though. Still, I'm determined to get enough for jam this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home