Thursday, June 30, 2005

Now even white trashier

On Caruthers Street, there is a profusion of flowers. Can't even tell you everything that's blooming. My species cannas have successfully transplanted and started flowering about a week ago. Some blue flower I had last year has come back with a vengance, though it's supposed to be annual. My first tiny tomatos have appeared, one on the Early Girl and one on the heritage red cherry.

In the back yard, where I previously tried to plant sunflowers, I've put in six healthy raspberry bushes that were given to me by Kerry (Keri? Kerrie? Carrie? whatever) at her birthday party this past weekend.

Also back there, the garlic bulbs I planted have two inch sprouts. They'll make a nice little bed of plants. And right in front of them the only flowers that sprouted from all those different seeds I planted are coming right along. I beieve they're Money Plants.

Two of my mystery weeds have turned out to be exactly what I thought they were. One Bothe was wild carrot, AKA Queen Anne's Lace. The other is plantain, AKA plantago AKA psillium. The flower stalks of the latter is where the fiber in Metamucil comes from. Both former mystery weeds are now in bloom.

In a charming copper kettle I found recently, I crammed several small mystery weeds from under our camellia bush. They are the sweetest little plants with tiny bright blue flowers. I love them, and it seems hard to believe that they are actually a weed. I really need to go over to Portland Nursery to see if I can ID them.

On the fence next to the parking lot, I've hung up yet another coffee can and planted flowers in it. Sticking with the trailer trash theme, as you can tell. In the can, I've planted some nasturtiums that had sprung up on their own in a shady spot.

Among my upcoming projects, I'm thinking about planting some spelt, the grain, which I sprouted & ate recently. It inspired me to try gardening with it. After all, it would be just a decorative grass, basically. I like the way grain stalks look too, and they'd add some interest to the fall/winter garden. Can't figure out where to put them though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home