Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Just harvesting

Buzzed by my Reed garden for a quick weeding and harvesting session.

Turnips
Got several big turnips and a big bag of greens to go with 'em. So far, I've gottn about 6 good sized ones, with about 15 to 20 still getting bigger in the plot. They've really produced well and been trouble free, and I'm definitely going to plant more later in the season for late fall.

Arugula
It's all gone hopelessly to seed, but I'm going to leave it in place in the hope of getting a few leaves here & there throughout the summe to toss in a salad. Today, I pulled a few whole plants in order to thin the bed.

Snow Peas
I picked another big handful of snow peas today, which is about the fifth buch I've gotten. Pretty amazing for five or six little plants. They've been very easy to grow, take up very little space, and produce abundantly. I'll be planting more again next year for sure.

Squash
The acorn & delicata squashes I planted in hills are doing quite well, though still seedlings. I had to thin the hills.

Raspberrries
Doing well. Flowers, but no berries yet. Healthy looking plants. I dug up the empty areas in the row to make the soil more inviting for new canes.

Tomatos
All the tomatos are surviving, if growing slowly. Some have flowers & may soon produce fruit, though they're still small plants. I've been pulling the suckers from the branches. Not sure what that's supposed to do. We'll see if it helps.

Potatos
Both patches are doing quite well, and I'm betting there'll be taters a plenty this fall. Makes me wonder why everyone doesn't plant potatos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home