Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Free rhubarb

At Reed, I mostly just weeded and picked stuff.

-Got another big handful of snow peas, with more on the way, it looks like. I've picked this many about six or seven times off of maybe half a dozen small plants. They've produced very well.

-Got five more medium sized turnips.

-Cut almost completely down the last of the three giant Siberian Kales. It was the largest and was fully in bloom. Even had seed pods, and as a result had few leaves of any size. Still, there was som much of the plant that I got a huge sack full of greens. Right now, the other two previously cut down kales are small flowering shrubs. Not sure if they'll rebound or not. Didn't want to pull them out just to see what'll happen.

-Planted a free pattypan squash seedling. Pattypans are the ones that look like flying saucers.

-My Arugula is fully flowering and so tall that it's falling over. I figure I'll just pick little bits for salads from her on out.

-My Rose Finn potatos are flowering, despite being fairly small, while my other potatos are large but not flowering, looking a bit leggy and unhappy actually.

-There was finally one little raspberry on my canes. More ahead. Other people's berries are producing abundantly. A neighbor's marionberries are ripening in profusion. Would love to grow some of those I was thinking that I could just pick some berries and plant the seeds. Not sure how well that would work.

-The volunteer daisies are dying back, and I cut off all the heads in preparation for moving the whole huge plant to my house, though now I am wondering if I should. It was nice to have the flowers.

-Elephant garlics are blooming just now.

-Though I sprinkled around quite a bit of chard seed, I only got three little seedlings. To those, which luckily grew all in a row and evenly spaced, I added three more chard starts that I got for free this past weekend.

Everything else in the garden is surviving, but not making the headlines. I always check the "free" area of the garden where people put stuff they don't want, and this time someone had piled a big stack of rhubarb stalks. Seems to be a few punds at least, enough for two crumbles. That was a particularly nice surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home