Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Autumn garden prep... Already!

Well, yesterday at Reed I watered a lot, and in the time between moving the hose, I pulled out all of the arugula plot, weeded it & some others, and picked a large bag full of white bean pods in the bed where I'd thrown the seeds earlier and then forgot about them. Later, I sat on the porch in the warm evening air and shelled beans, just like I used to do at my grandparents' house in the Georgia countryside when I was a kid. Shelling beans is a very zen activity, and it makes me wonder why all farmers aren't infinitely wise.

Fall
The clearing of the plots was in preparation for puting in my fall crops! Already! Jesus, time flies. I'm mostly planning on greens, such as collards, more turnips, kale, chard, but I might go for some root vegetables as well. Carrots? Potatos? Don't know how well those would work. I might also try brussel sprouts, since I like them, and they like the cold.

Also going on at the garden, I picked the last of the snow peas last week, but I'm leaving some on the vine to fully mature. I want to get some seeds out of them. They did so incredibly well, I want to grow more next year.

The delicata & acorn squashes are off like gangbusters. In just a couple of weeks, they;ve transformed from struggling seedlings to voracious spreading vines. They're also covered with small beginning fruits. Very exciting!

All of the tomatos are full of fruits and nearing ripeness.

My pattypan squash & zucchini are getting large & will hopefully produce soon.

In the same bed where the white beans grew, there are many of what I think are scarlet runner beans, which are, like, purple & red mottled pinto type beans--nice to look at. Lots of pods almost ready to pull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home